Thursday, January 20, 2011

Warning: Theatre Content

I just had the complete and utter displeasure to hear a bit of the 25th Anniversary edition of the wonderful and classic musical Les Miserables. To say I am disappointed is a severe understatement. There were several things that just plucked a nerve with me, so I decided to write a blog post about it.

I'm not sure if very many of you are familiar with Les Miserables, but I'll post a link to the description to save me time on typing it all out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Misérables_(musical)

In reality, there were only three actors who should never have been cast in their roles.

To begin with, they had the one and only Nick Jonas playing the role of Marius. And unfortuately, he uses the same voice as he does to sing the pop songs of The Jonas Brothers to sing the powerful songs of One Day More, A Heart Full of Love, A Little Fall of Rain, etc. My meaning behind this is that he sings very nasaled, and not the powerful baritone voice that the character calls for.

The girl that they had playing Eponine is next. It has been pointed out to me by someone (*cough* *cough* Christian Asbill *cough*) that she went to a school that taught the particular vocal styling that she sings in. Be that as it may, Les Miserables was not meant to be sung in a pop voice. It just does not work.

The girl they had playing Cosette also did a bad job. She too was far too nasaled and whiny sounding, and lacking in the fullness and richness that the character of Cosette needs. That was really the only thing that truly bothered me about her voice.

That's all I'm going to say about the subject. In light of it being "Make My Life a Musical Day", let's end this post with some lyrics shall we?

Do you hear the people sing
Lost in the valley of the night?
It is the music of a people
Who are climbing to the light.

For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies.
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.

They will live again in freedom
In the garden of the Lord.
They will walk behind the plough-share,
They will put away the sword.
The chain will be broken
And all men will have their reward.

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Do you hear the people sing?
Say, do you hear the distant drums?
It is the future that they bring
When tomorrow comes...
Tomorrow comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment